DWI Lawyer Jon K. Davis – Traffic Violations Division

Auto Accidents | Jon K. Davis, New York Personal Injury Lawyer | Service Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Long Island, Staten Island and Manhattan | Call 800-336-CASH

Do you need a DWI Lawyer or Traffic Lawyer? Most people think that paying traffic summons is the end of it. However, even after you pay the ticket, the DMV will still put points for traffic infractions on your driver’s license. This is serious since having two or three summons on your driver’s license can get you enough points to make you lose your license. At times, one serious traffic offense can make you lose your license.

Nowadays, it is not enough to pay fines. The new laws require you to pay “Driver Responsibility Assessment” for specific traffic offenses that are committed on or after November 18, 2004 that had an administrative or conviction finding. If you do not pay the assessment, your driver’s permit for learners, driver’s license, and other driving privileges will get suspended. The annual assessment fee is paid for 3 years and includes the following:

  • $250 annually for offenses involving drugs and alcohol. This includes refusing chemical tests.

  • $100 annually for offenses that accumulate 6 points during 18 months. It also includes an extra $25 for any extra point accumulated during the 18 months.

Driving While Intoxicated: DWI  Driving Under the Influence: DUI

Drunk driving is a serious offense and having a Driving While Impaired charge can be a felony, misdemeanor, or violation depending on the severity of the situation and your driving history. When this happens, you need a DWI Lawyer and the Law Firm of Jon K. Davis can help. You might be required to go to and finish drug and alcohol testing and treatment before having your driving privileges reinstated.

Negligent or Reckless driving

Driving without due care to other drivers, pedestrians, and not observing traffic rules and road signs can also get you into trouble. These are examples of negligent or reckless driving and you can get traffic summons and have points added to your driver’s license.

What happens to your insurance?

Insurance law allows companies to increase the premiums for those who are convicted of traffic violations. Insurance companies can increase your premiums by up to 50%. This means that the points gained due to a traffic violation can make you spend thousands of dollars. Also, the increased premiums can last for more than three years after the ticket is paid.

What you can do

I’m sure you have heard the phrase, “innocent until proven guilty”. Like in everything else, you can choose to prove your innocence. You do not have to pay the ticket if you believe you did nothing wrong. To increase your chances of success, you need to collect enough evidence whether through photos, videos or witness statements. You can also consider hiring an experienced attorney to help you with your case.

How an attorney can help

Most people are not familiar with traffic law. Like any other court, you can increase your chances of success by hiring a professional attorney with experience in traffic law. When you fight your ticket, you are likely to face a police officer who is well versed in traffic law. The police officer might make things hard for you since they have experience in presenting their cases. An attorney with experience in traffic law will not only know how to conduct themselves in court, but will also know the strategies to put in place so as to increase the chances of winning the case. The attorney will present your case in a more logical manner and will guide you on the way forward.

Know your rights and contact us today to learn how we can help you get justice. Speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. For a free consultation, call Attorney Jon K. Davis today at 800-336-CASH (2274) or send us an email.